Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Spot of Cheerful Colour

I was really drooping over breakfast this morning.

My paying job, which is usually pleasant and fairly moderately paced, is extra stressful right now. One employee is on vacation and another away dealing with a daughter's health crisis. Not enough people and too much work make for long days and a sense of frustration at things left undone.

(But it did get me out on the road last night for a post-work ride to blow away the cobwebs. AND made me appreciate how lucky I am to have a job and co-workers I like. Those are good things.)

So there I was, tiredly eating my eggs and oatmeal and trying to find some energy to face another long day, when a scarlet cardinal landed on the lawn outside.

Immediately I felt more cheerful. What is it about bright colours that lifts our spirits? My usual avian breakfast companions are busy robins zipping around the lawn, and house finches fluttering on the driveway. I love watching them, but they don't give me the boost that cardinal did.

He pecked around for a bit, a small living jewel in the grass, then flew up into the ash tree where his wife was waiting. They both took off for the neighbor's yard in a bright flash of wings.

It's time for me to take off too, and get dressed for work. I'll make sure I wear something bright.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I had to do the same thing today; dress brightly to improve the mood! Lime green for me...

    I was serenaded this morning by a hungry finch who wanted me to get up and fill the feeder. I could have stayed there all day just listening...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing the birdsong every morning ... and every night.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....