Monday, March 9, 2015

Waiting for Yarn

Designing patterns for magazines involves a lot of waiting.

Waiting for ideas to strike. Waiting for quiet time to work on those ideas. Waiting for submission calls that let you know it's time to submit the ideas to Magazine A, B, or C. (Sometimes the submission calls spark the ideas.)

Sending off your swatches and proposals, then sitting back and waiting for a response. This can take weeks or months, during which time you become convinced that a) your swatch was rubbish, and b) your idea hasn't a snowball's chance in you-know-where of being accepted.

To distract yourself, you keep crocheting.

Then, if you're lucky, comes the excitement of seeing an editor's name in your inbox. (This usually means good news.) The excitement builds as you read the message: "Dear Sue, we'd like to include your design for the Whatchamacallit Cowl in our Stupendous 2015 issue." This is followed by project dimensions and payment details, along with a due date (usually several weeks away - no problem! you think). The email closes with a polite request for your agreement to these terms, and a promise of yarn shipment contingent upon same.

A small wave of yarny euphoria washes over your soul. Your work has paid off! Somebody likes it! You tell your husband (in a voice that tries to sound casual, but fails) that you've sold a pattern, and he congratulates you. You turn back to your keyboard, click the "reply" button, and accept the editor's kind offer (reminding yourself, as you type, that though your designerly soul is bubbling over with delight, too many exclamation points would look unprofessional).

This euphoria lasts about a day or two, then the waiting begins anew. Now you're waiting for the yarn. You wonder what kind they'll choose - will it be similar to your swatch yarn? Will you have to re-work parts of your pattern to accommodate differences in weight, fiber content, or texture? (Almost a guaranteed "yes" to the last question.)

There's usually a gap of a week or two between project acceptance and yarn shipment. After the first week, you start keeping one eye on the calendar and one eye on the mailbox, expecting every day to see a bulky package from a yarn company. When the mailbox turns up empty, you listen hopefully for the hiss of brakes and the beep-beep that signals the arrival of a big brown van outside your door.

Towards the end of the second yarnless week, you begin to wonder whether you should email the editor (but you hesitate to bother her because you know she's busy). Every day you re-calculate how much time is left until the project is due. Every day the faint apprehension grows, mixing with the lingering remnants of excitement.

Today, I am waiting for yarn. :)


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting yet another pattern accepted Sue, I feel your excitement and your apprehension but don't worry you are a professional now and you know that it will all come l together in the end. I hope you don't have to wait too long for that yarn, think of us! now we have to wait until you have made it, submitted it and for the magazine to publish it before we even get a glimpse! ..did I hear the hiss of breaks there? :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled for you! Love waiting for yarn!! My favorite wait...well waiting for a new kitten is also a fav. wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek, exciting, and nerve wracking as well I imagine. But you never fail to create something beautiful, I have complete faith in you. Nonetheless, I hope the yarn turns up soon. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that yarn lands today. Look forward to seeing your next published project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You paint the picture so perfectly. Didn't leave out a single detail. I have always admired your ability and willingness to sit through this process and continually come up with new ideas (and keep up a blog at the same time!!!!!).

    If not for the deadlines, the wait wouldn't be so bad! Too bad the rules can't be: Just make it, and when you're done, we'll run it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a weird mixture of anticipation and anxiety! Does the yarn ever not turn up in time? Or shouldn't I ask that? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ginny, it has happened. Once, an editor thought she'd ordered the yarn, but the email was sitting in her "Drafts" folder. When I finally contacted her, she extended the due date (and also ordered the yarn). :)

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed reading about the process because I have often wondered what that's like. I can imagine the waiting can get very tedious, though. Your designs are always beautiful and I always feel a little thrill when I spot one in a magazine because I "know" that lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved how you told us about this wonderful excitement. I just wish that you could tell us what the project is so we can even be more excited for you! And what magazine.. fun fun! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so thrilled for you dear Sue. Granted, the waiting game is never an easy one to play but when recognition and yarn are the final goal? That would bring a smile to many a yarnloving face!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Another awesome pattern by your most talented sweet self! :) Oh I am so uncool, I would have already dropped that editor a line...I could never wait two weeks for yarn...I think I'd be down at the bulk mail enter waiting for their trucks to pull in....oh new yarn....goodness, how exciting. I am looking forward to seeing what they send you, too. :) Blessings always sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exciting times, Sue! To have a design published. Well done.
    Hope they yarn arrived safely by now :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I sure hope it arrives today! Another one of your brilliant patterns will be published, I am so excited for you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy for you, Sue! Your things are so beautiful...you're so very talented! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news! The waiting is hard though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor Sue! I hope the yarn has arrived?????

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue, I've nominated your blog for A Liebster Award over at mine, only if you're interested, of course.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Sue, and commiserations on the yarn wait. Been there, done that, and it's why I don't design any more. I hope it's arrived now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, seeing as this post was 11 days ago, I'm hoping the yarn arrived and you are crocheting away. Congrats and best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm excited for you too, Sue, and I appreciated a glimpse of the process of your work.
    Know I am cheering you on :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....